Monday, August 29, 2011

I must prevail!

My obsession with food began and has slowly progressed since early this year while I was up in New York at school. I used to be pretty into the show "Ace of Cakes" on the Food Network, and occasionally watched a few other shows like "Best Thing I Ever Ate." Whenever I would work out in the dorm I didn't feel like watching "Jersey Shore" or "Secret Life of an American Teen," and food network was the only channel that was consistent with its content. Therefore, I drove many New School students crazy by watching Giada put way too much emphasis on the word "ricotta" while hittin' the elliptical.

Food Network was one thing, but then my friend Nicole introduced me to foodgawker. I spent so much time avoiding homework by browsing through all of the delicious recipes that the website compiles together. I have frequently considered setting foodgawker as the home page on my laptop. I've resisted so far.

Last night I crossed my fingers and submitted my first entry to foodgawker. I refreshed the site every half hour to see if I saw my blog name posted under my photograph. Much to my dismay, the post was rejected for lacking "photo/food composition." Serious bummer.

Buying a fancy schmancy camera is definitely not in my near future, so I can only attempt to improve my photography skills using the point and shoot that I currently have. 

I attempted to cheer myself up with this:


Almond Mascarpone Tart with Peaches and Raspberries 

Crust ingredients:
1 package of Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour/Meal
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Flour
1/2 Trader Joe's Almond Meal
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 large egg, beaten

Tart topping ingredients:
2/3 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used nonfat)
1/3 cup clover honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

I apologize for the hodge podge of flours in this recipe, but the crust is really delicious. And gluten free! In a large mixing bowl whisk together flours, almond meal, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Once dry ingredients are combined, cut the butter into eight small pieces and add to the mix. To mix together I used my hands, rubbing the flour and butter between my palms and fingers until the butter was in pea-sized chunks. Add the beaten egg and mix until moist. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. 

Once chilled, pat the crust mix into the bottom of a tart or pie pan. Once evenly covered, place the pan in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and fragrant. 
While the crust bakes, add mascarpone cheese and greek yogurt to a small mixing bowl. Cream for a minute or two with a hand mixer. Add honey and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined. Mix in nutmeg and chill in the fridge until the crust is ready to be covered. 

Once the crust has cooled, use an offset spatula or the next best utensil and spread the topping over the tart, covering the surface evenly. I topped the tart off with peaches and raspberries, but use whatever fruit you prefer and is in season. 

Share it with the people you love!


No comments: