Thursday, August 25, 2011

...and on the fourth day I made a pizza

The kitchen gods answered my prayers. I have a working oven.

Actually, Tim the maintenance guy answered my prayer. Or phone call.

To celebrate this I decided to make a delicious, summery pizza. This was by far the best thing I've made since I moved up here.

I live across the street from a little supermarket and I decided to go check out what kind of produce they had today. It's a great little store but it is definitely not ideally priced for a college student. But they had some perfect looking peaches so I treated myself to a couple of those.

After forming the dough on the baking sheet I popped it in the oven, only to realize that none of my baking sheets fit into my little baby 1960's oven. Challenge accepted. 


Eventually I ended up placing the pizza on the removable bottom of my springform cake pan.



Beautiful.

Now that I have a working oven I look forward to doing more baking posts!

Peach Goat Cheese Pizza with Honey Balsamic and Fresh Thyme

Makes one 9 inch pizza

Ingredients:
Bob's Red Mill Pizza Mix
1 1/2 cup of warm water
2 eggs
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Half of a ripe peach
1/2 cup of goat cheese crumbles
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of honey
A pinch of cinnamon
A pinch of salt
4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Prepare the Bob's Red Mill dough according to the directions on the package. I only used 1 fourth of the dough for this recipe, saving the rest in the freezer. If you wanted to make this for more than one or two simply double, triple, or quadruple the pizza toppings. 

Once the pizza dough has had time to rise, arrange it on a greased baking sheet so the dough is a little less than half an inch thick. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.

While the crust is baking, slice peaches to your preferred thickness.

In a small bowl, mix the honey, balsamic, cinnamon, and salt together until combined. Set aside.

After 10 minutes remove the crust and coat it with olive oil using a pastry brush. Arrange peaches and cheese crumbles evenly over the pizza. Drizzle the dressing over the entire pizza, and then sprinkle the fresh thyme on top. Place in the oven for another 5-7 minutes, or until the edges have browned.

Serve hot and enjoy!


No comments: