Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Curry fingers

Rainy day up here in St. Paul. I welcomed the weather, but according to some this may be here to stay for a while.


Days like this make me want to curl up in some comfy pants with a rainy day chai, but I managed to find a decent balance of productivity and relaxing. Even managed to get a good run in.


Running has been the highlight of my days since I came up here. I love that it makes me think about when and why I got started, and how far I've come since then. For a few minutes after I run I'm able to forget where I am and who isn't here, which is both good and bad.


I thought that a day like today called for a special snack.




Well, hello there.


One of the older neighborhoods of Omaha, Dundee, has a small restaurant called Amsterdam Falafel and Kabob. Their falafel and salads are delicious, but I could devour a basket of their curry fries on a daily basis. They're thinly sliced and dusted with curry powder, and served with a tiny little fork to avoid having you fingers smell like curry for a week. But who wouldn't want to be reminded of those delicious fries they consumed?


I decided to try making my own curry fries, but I used sweet potatoes instead.


Overall I was pretty satisfied with the results, but I'm still getting to know my oven so some fries with a little beyond crispy.


Curried Sweet Potato Fries
I suggest one medium sized potato for every person you're serving


Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees


Chop potatoes into the fry shape you prefer, thick or thin. Drop into a mixing bowl and pour olive oil and spices over the potatoes. Toss the fries with your hands until they're all coated with the oil and spices. Arrange on a baking sheet so all fries are flat on the surface. Bake for 10-15 minutes (more towards 15 if you cut the potatoes thick). Flips the fries with a spatula so they bake evenly on all sides, and then leave in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until they are browned and crispy.


Dust with a sprinkle of curry powder and serve with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce.


Keep these in mind on a rainy day!

No comments: