Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

The other day a guy in my english class asked me if I make much stuff with pumpkin in it. I said "Well, I made pumpkin risotto for my friends last weekend... and I made some pumpkin scones a while back." When I came home that day I checked my recipe page.

As of today, I've made 12 recipes involving pumpkin. Who knew?

My mom got here today! She's spending the weekend up here with me for my birthday. We had a little afternoon tea with maple oat scones, then headed over to Edina for a some shopping. It's difficult for me to pass up on a chance to add to my collection of cardigans. Afterwards we had a delicious dinner at the French Meadow Café in uptown Minneapolis. I tried tempeh for the first time and my mom ordered pork tenderloin with brussel sprouts and sour cherries.

We ended our lovely evening with a movie. We saw Like Crazy, and I'm not going to lie, it was a bit of a bummer for me. After getting lost on our way back to my apartment, I'm pretty worn out and ready for bed.

Tomorrow I'll be making dinner for my mom, Hillary, and I. Check in to see the menu!

Pumpkin Spice Cookies
adapted from this recipe
makes roughly one dozen

1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup white rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup pumpkin purée
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, spice, and salt.

In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla and mix until smooth.

Add wet ingredients to dry and fold until the dough just comes together. Dough will be wet and sticky. Chill for half an hour in the fridge before forming cookies. With wet hands, form dough into little disks, about two inches across and half an inch thick. Place on a parchment covered baking sheet two inches apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned around the edges.

These cookies are pretty cakey. My mom arrived before I was able to make an icing for them. Any suggestions?


It's tough to see, but these guys are perched on the adorable plate that one of my best friends sent me for my birthday. Thanks, Lilly!

No comments: