Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chai Spice Scones

I thought I would have to post a flop tonight. Luckily, I was wrong!

I was getting everything prepared for the recipe I found, which I was going to attempt to adapt to be gluten-free. Then I realized that I'm out of butter. Thanks to my trip to New York, I believe I have roughly twenty cents in my bank account. Ah, the glamorous life of a college student.

I considered some substitutes for butter and began calculating the conversions. With all the alterations, I was unsure of how things would turn out. I was pleasantly surprised! These scones were perfect on this rainy night. If I make these again I may try butter just to add a little flakiness, but these are definitely a healthy alternative!

Gluten Free Chai Spice Scones
inspired by this recipe
makes 5 or 6 scones

1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 brown rice flour
1/2 tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 regular sized bag of black tea
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup grapeseed oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together flours, starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, tea, and spices. Whisk until uniform in color and texture.

In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients. Once combined, gradually fold into dry ingredients using a rubber spatula. Dough will be slightly sticky, but not too much.

Use a pastry cutter or your hands to form scones. I patted mine into little 3 inch disks.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until the exterior of the scones is slightly golden. Enjoy!


Might attempt to get a better photo of these tomorrow morning.

No comments: